Friday, March 11, 2016

INTERVIEW: A BEAUTIFUL NIQAB JOURNEY




Assalamu Alaikum Warhmatullahi Wabarakatuhu,

Just coming out of a long blog break and Jazakallah khair for the messages sisters! It's really your Duaas and support that keeps this blog going. Yes well, somewhat going but I'm working on it! ;)

Anyway, this is an interview I had some time back with Sister Adrie Hurmathullah. This should have been posted a while back but as you know, I've been a terrible procrastinator. Jazakallah khair for the lovely interview sister and Jazakallah khair for your patience! 

Do read through this amazing interview. There's a lot of inspiration and advice you can get from it, In Shaa Allah.


Tell us a little bit about yourself

My name is Adrie Hurmathullah and for the past few years I have been trying to figure out who I am as in: where do I see myself in the next few years, how I can improve my religion and help people to better understand it, and lots more! You can kind of say I'm overwhelmed with over thinking most of the time.

How long has it been since you've been wearing the Hijab?


Although I have been Muslim from a very young age, I hadn't began wearing hijab until I was sixteen and then recently decided that I wanted to wear niqab. I hadn't known that I would be so comfortable with doing so since I don't like the attention (I'm very shy and quiet) but its an amazing journey that I don't regret.

You now wear the Niqab. What made you take the extra step?


When first wearing niqab I would say I got my inspiration from watching my first YouTube video. Although my Nanni wore it occasionally, I was a little embarrassed to ask her and my mum. However, there was a girl around my age at the time who spoke of the importance of niqab and it being fardh.

Was it a difficult transition, going from a Hijabi to a Niqabi?


In the beginning it was a little difficult since I lost even more friends because they believed I had radical terrorist groups. But I took baby steps each day from occasionally wearing niqab to wearing it entirely EVERYDAY.


A lot of people tend to believe that wearing the Niqab is a barrier for education, work and social life. What are your thoughts on this?

To be honest, wearing niqab hasn't prohibited me from receiving a higher education. I am currently in Uni and the city I live in has a large population of Muslims and beautiful mosque. But it also depends on the environment and the individual. One problem that I have had lately is finding a job. Most people refuse or oppose hiring Muslim women due to the scarf and wearing niqab makes it a little more complicating. But in shaa Allah, I will be starting my own business soon which will eliminate the current troubles.

You live in a Muslim minority country. Is wearing the Niqab difficult there?

Unfortunately, a lot of Muslims in the US are being blamed for the actions of others. Some Muslims are also discouraged from following Islam as a whole. But I personally don't allow it to get beneath my skin. I keep mind that Allah is the all-knowing creator and whatever situations we experience is for a reason. It's important to remember this world, the Dunya, is only temporary and as a Muslim I am striving for something far more rewarding.

Is there any Niqab incident that you would like to share?

About a month ago I went into a store to purchase lunch. But I was told to leave or remove my veil. If I hadn't, the police would be notified immediately and I would be put in jail. But that is illegal here since a store is at fault for denying a person service because of their faith or opinion.

What is your best Niqab/Hijab moment?

My best niqab moment is everyday when my husband looks at me and tells me that I am even more beautiful with niqab and that he admires my dedication to Islam.

How do you feel you have changed after you started wearing the Niqab?

I am less self conscious about my appearance face wise. I don't have to cover myself with make-up and wonder what others will think. I am more confident and focused. 

If there are sisters that want to wear the Niqab but are afraid of doing so, what would your advice to them be?

Niqab isn't something that happens overnight to get use to. It takes time to adjust but if it's something you want to do then do it. Other people's thoughts and concerns shouldn't be yours because it is your life. People will continue to judge and mock you until the day you die. Niqab is a good thing. 

How do you think that Niqabis should deal with any hate?

Hatred is caused by ignorance and misconception. You cannot make someone see what has always been in front of their faces. Even when the resources are provided they'll continue to refuse. The only way to cure hatred is with kindness, love and forgiveness.

Niqab and freedom. This is something non-Muslims have misunderstood terribly. How do you feel that wearing the Niqab makes you feel free?

Wearing the niqab is an act of freedom. Each person has always been entitled to their own views and to dress as they pleased. Niqab is just the same for me, and in shaa Allah my sisters will be given the same freedom to make choices that are suitable for them.



Note: If you would like to be interviewed for our blog, leave us an email on niqablovers@gmail.com and we'll get back to you, In Sha Allah. Sisters only.

2 comments:

  1. Assalam alaykun a rahmattullah dear sisters. Mashaallah amazin interwiew of Adrie Hurma. I follow her on Youtube ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Masha' Allah, nice interview. If anyone's interested I blog about niqab on notafragileflower.wordpress.net. Bravo for starting up again!

    ReplyDelete